Email Tyler at tyler.ditto@missionary.org

Sunday, September 13, 2020

He's the strength in this race that I run!

What is up big dawgs! This post is going to be a quick reflection of the past two weeks (not including this week). 

The last two weeks have flown by! I cannot believe how many things that we have gotten done and how much I have learned. Being a missionary is mega hard but also can be super rewarding and SO fun. I wanna say that each day is different, and brings new challenges...but honestly every day in the MTC is basically the exact same. With that being said, there are good days and bad days. My mommy said that I should share some more heartfelt experiences, so I figured I might as well tell you all about one of my hardest days in the MTC so far. I am just going to insert a little portion of my journal entry on that day:

"Today has been a really tough day. I started off today really desiring to be a better missionary, being perfectly obedient, and spending more time outside of class studying japanese. I started off class feeling really good and like I was understanding everything my teacher was saying. But from there it just seemed to go downhill. I did a terrible job at my Task Practice (almost every day we have a task practice that we are supposed to prepare for class. This requires memorizing 4-5 new phrases, 10+ new vocab words, and being prepared to teach what you memorized in Japanese  and I felt like I knew barely any Japanese. I need to try even harder to be a better missionary and do better in my japanese. Being a missionary is so hard but I know it will be good." 

As I look back on that day that was so rough, I am reminded of a few things. 
1- You can't expect to change something about your life and see immediate results
2- Everyone has bad days
3- Japanese is hard and I'm not gonna be fluent anytime soon
4- My amazing parents are always there to support me and are proud of me
5- Beating my dad in ping pong can make any day a good day
6- Listening to music fixes everything
My Uncle Matt wanted to treat me to sushi in hopes that it would help my Japanese language skills improve more quickly.  I feel smarter already!

As Grannie always tells me: Obedience as a missionary is the most important thing. This is something that I strive to do better at every day and know there are spots I can improve on still. 

Dang Tyler, that was deep. 



My parents

Scripture of the week:
"4. And in doing these things thou wilt do the greatest good unto thy fellow beings, and wilt promote the glory of him who is your Lord.

5. Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees."

My family this past June in Pacific City, WA.

Song of the week: God Is by Kanye West. You can't listen to this song and not tell me that it's basically a hymn. This might be unconventional, but I really do love this song and feel so much peace and joy when listening to it. Kanye makes art.




Chopstick Challenge of the week!


Love you guys!!
- Elder Ditto

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy reading about the mission the good and hard all keep it real. Cause life outside the mission is the just a diffrent rollercoaster. Oh the sushi looks delicious and the chopsticks are a lesson in themselves, good thing your practicing. Keep up the good work Elder Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a trooper Elder Ditto! Japanese has got to be one of the very hardest languages ever. It will get better. So good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very proud of you Elder Ditto. Japanese is a difficult language as I took a class in Hawaii.
    Elder McDonald is doing well here in Vancouver. However, because of Covid and smoky air, his service mission is serving his family.
    The Lord will bless you more than you know. Just keep the commandments and Japanese language will come to you. Aloha, Sis Karen McDonald

    ReplyDelete