Email Tyler at tyler.ditto@missionary.org

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Behind Every Tree is a Pretty Girl


I am a "fisher" of men!!  Fun little fishing excursion with my friend, Kade.

Another week in the books. I was going to try to prolong the announcement and give you guys a big cliff hanger on the update that I received this week regarding the location of my missionary assignment. The only problem that I ran into when writing this email is that there really wasn't anything unique that happened this past week. SO here you go. The news.

DRUM ROLL...

On Tuesday, I was over to my favorite, temporarily, disabled person's house (Kade), when I went over to my phone and noticed that I had a missed call from my Stake President. I immediately knew what was in store. The dredded yet exciting word. My temporary reassignment. I called him back, and after a little bit of phone tag, we got a hold of each other. After some catching up, he asked me if I was ready to find out where I am getting temporarily reassigned until Japan opens up for missionaries like me to come into the country, serve them, and spread the gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Japan. He then read me off the email that he had gotten, and informed me that I have been temporarily reassigned to the SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH mission! 

I know, I know...take a deep breath. I know what you're thinking. "But Tyler, how are you going to survive in such an exotic and new place? Do they even know who Jesus Christ is all the way over there? Will you be able to handle new exotic foods that the people of Utah enjoy?" All of the same things rushed through my head when I heard the words "Salt Lake City Utah Mission" too. I report the week of October 27th (two weeks after my basement MTC finishes).

Okay, all jokes aside. I was not expecting to go back to basically the same place that I had spent the past year of my life living at for college. And I can't lie, I was a little (sometimes a lot) disappointed with the news. I have asked questions like, "Why can't I go somewhere new and different?" "Maybe they gave me the wrong call," etc. The day after I received the news, it was hard for me to focus in class and especially hard to study Japanese.

All I want to do is go to Japan and learn this crazy hard and beautiful language, and serve the people of Japan. 

Now, after a few days of thinking, praying, talking about my call, and having people ask me about my reassignment, I feel so much better. I know that I am being sent to good ol' Utah for a reason and that there are still people there that need to hear what I have to say. Also, sidenote, my mission actually includes a lot of Wyoming as well, which is cool. I want to say, "thank you" to everyone who has continued to pray for me, and all missionaries out serving the Lord. I love you guys. 

Salt Lake City, UT Mission boundaries are in blue


Proof of getting called to SLC, Utah: now when people joke about "how terrible and funny it would be to get called to Salt Lake"...I know what it's like, so BOOM😉 

I thought I'd end this post with a joke that my mother shared with me (shoutout to one of her friends that told it to her first). I will attach the screenshot below since I know I will say something wrong. 

Funny joke that someone sent to my mom



A little English and Japanese music to bless your ears. I have always liked the song "I am a Child of God," and this version is cool cuz it features a Japanese singing group. 




Love, 
Elder Ditto

2 comments:

  1. Congratualtions on your assignment! SLC will be lucky to have you. My college roommates boyfriend proposed, she said she wouldn't marry till she had served a mission. She got called to SLC where he lived! Crazy! She served honorable and sent on to marry him. SLC missions always remind me of this story. Carry on and know we are enjoying the emails and look forward to what is yet ahead.
    Dale and Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to really get your legs under you. This will allow you time to gain confidence and experience in teaching without the stress of needing a new language to express yourself. Besides that some of my best memories are
    from this very portion of the West. So much history and part of it includes your name sake.

    ReplyDelete